People thinking you're faking it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lymegreen

I was reading an article about Yolanda Foster and her battles with Lyme Disease, and she said there were rumors circulating about her for quite a long while, suggesting that she was simply faking her Lyme Disease because she was always sick - and people thought it was just a cry for attention.

I feel like this seems to be common with Lyme - my niece was thought to just be a constantly sick child who woud pretend to be sick to get out of school!

How do you think these kinds of attitudes impact the sufferers of Lyme Disease?

That's a sad reality about this disease, some people might not realize how real it is, but that is their problem really.

People always got something to say. Even if your problem is not your fault. I think the lady is telling the truth. Nobody goes to the doctor for nothing. I think people need to get a life and mind their own business.

I read about that too, they were saying the exact same thing about her kids! That made her feel so furious, I can totally understand it. It angers me that people can be so ignorant! Only because a person looks well on the outside it doesn't mean they are indeed well. And yes, tons of people use other diseases as a cry for attention, it does happen, but that doesn't mean everyone does that. Some people have a hard time understanding that.

I think that is due mostly to misleading information concerning the disease. Probably there are people there that think some food or any nonsense is a carrier of the disease instead of tick. Is my personal opinion though, maybe they really are aware of how the infestation does happen and because of their self esteem issues, take advantage from the current lyme disease media coverage and use it to attract attention.

I have disabilities and chronic conditions that are not always apparent by looking at me. I have people treat me like a hypochondriac all the time. It is very frustrating.

I have disabilities and chronic conditions that are not always apparent by looking at me. I have people treat me like a hypochondriac all the time. It is very frustrating.

It must be incredibly difficult. I have read about people online who have serious disabilities and have permission to park in disabled parking spaces, and have had people abuse them because their disability wasn't obvious just by looking at them.

It's terrible to see people acting that way :( I'm sorry you've had to deal with people treating you like a hypochondriac!

I do think that there probably is a few people that are faking their illness, and of course that makes it a lot harder for the genuine cases to get the help they need.

When it comes to any illness, many people are sceptical about something that they don't know much about. Unfortunately it's a lot easier to bury your head in the sand and pretend something doesn't exist than have to find out about something and face up to it.

I do think that there probably is a few people that are faking their illness, and of course that makes it a lot harder for the genuine cases to get the help they need.

When it comes to any illness, many people are sceptical about something that they don't know much about. Unfortunately it's a lot easier to bury your head in the sand and pretend something doesn't exist than have to find out about something and face up to it.

Absolutely - like any illness or disease, if someone fakes it then it sure makes it more difficult for those with legitimate cases. I think then to some people it's like the story of the boy that cried wolf - it's harder for the real cases to be believed when people do fake illnesses.

That's exactly what the problem is, and the more people that fake illness, the more people that actually are ill get ignored. The genuinely ill people have to then go on to try and prove that they need the help when really that's the last thing they should be worrying about.

Unfortunately I think it's just a sad reflection on the way society is these days that there are people out there who DO fake illnesses in order to cheat the system, and I can see the problem only getting worse aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back