"You Physically Cannot Get Out of Bed": Ally Hilfiger Opens Up About Her Battle with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellie

"You Physically Cannot Get Out of Bed": Ally Hilfiger Opens Up About Her Battle with

Hi guys, you might want to check this out. This article tells the store of Ally Hilfiger, who was bitten by a tick at the age of 7, ever since then she had been experiencing odd symptoms,

The most interesting bit of her story (for me at least) was the fact she was misdiagnosed with several ailments for years and years! Basically what I've been saying that happens to most people suffering from this.

Here is a piece:

After a tick bite at age seven, Ally Hilfiger started experiencing serious health issues, but her test for Lyme Disease was inconclusive. And so began years of misdiagnoses, from growing pains to ADD to rheumatoid arthritis to MS to fibromyalgia-until she was finally diagnosed correctly at 19.

Hilfiger, now 31, chronicles her battle in her new book, Bite Me: How Lyme Disease Stole My Childhood, Made Me Crazy, and Almost Killed Me, out May 10 from Center Street. Here, she talks desperation, healing, and a will to change the world.

If you are interested to read the actual interview with her, then copy and paste the title of this thread on Google.

Re: "You Physically Cannot Get Out of Bed": Ally Hilfiger Opens Up About Her Battle w

Thankfully my niece was diagnosed relatively quickly, but even she got a couple of misdiagnoses that obviously frustrated her folks - as parents they were really reaching their wits end trying to work out what was wrong. It definitely does seem to be something that happens a lot though from the cases of Lyme that I've heard about.

Re: "You Physically Cannot Get Out of Bed": Ally Hilfiger Opens Up About Her Battle w

Yes, it's always sad when it takes years and years to finally reach a conclusive diagnosis. I feel or the people who got this as kids, but the parents didn't even suspect it. It's hard to beleive, but some parents don't even think about this. Wish there was more awareness.

Yes, it's always sad when it takes years and years to finally reach a conclusive diagnosis. I feel or the people who got this as kids, but the parents didn't even suspect it. It's hard to beleive, but some parents don't even think about this. Wish there was more awareness.

Really, that is what it takes. You simply have to have parents who know that they need to check their kids for ticks after the kids have been playing in the woods. And more importantly to educate their kids about reporting rashes.

Yeah, sadly most parents don't even think of doing this, because they are not aware :( I can't blame them, because it wasn't until recently that I learnt about the risks of spending some time hiking or walking around the woods :( We need to spread more awareness on this disease. I know I will for sure check my kids for ticks after a day in the local park/woods in the future (when I have them).

The most frightening thing for her is how confusing is the disease behaviour in ther. Most people think she looks great, when inside she is through an almost intolerable suffering. Even She thought that was making up everything, Like some hypochondriac.

Never thought Lyme disease could be that scary when neglected by misguided diagnosis. It shows still there is room for improvement in regards of treatment and diagnosis approach.

I agree with this completely. The rash is so signature to Lyme Disease that in areas where Lyme Disease is likely to occur, every parent should be aware of what the rash looks like. And for children that young, parents should also know how to look for ticks.

This should all be being taught the same way we teach stop, drop and roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back