Difficulties for Lyme Disease Sufferers in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

lymegreen

A Senate inquiry into Lyme-like illness has been lost as the Federal Parliament dissolved both its houses this week.

It’s a devastating blow for the thousands of people who have Lyme-like illness in Australia.

Many of which, like Coffs Harbour woman Lyndy Rees, were diagnosed with Lyme disease overseas.

Ms Rees is a co-ordinator LymeLinks – a local support group for suffers on the Coffs Coast.

“I’m just disgusted with our federal and state governments despite the scientific evidence about the existence of Lyme disease in Australia, it’s still not recognised,” she said.

“Why is this disease being treated so differently than anyone else?”

Lyme Disease Association of Australia president Sharon Whiteman shared in the disappointment felt by Lyme suffers nationwide.

Sadly in Australia, there's no formal recognition of Lyme Disease - so anyone who has the disease, or symptoms like it, has to go overseas for diagnosis.

How is the Lyme Disease recognition where you live? I feel like here in the States it's getting better, slowly - but I can't imagine it not even being seen as a disease.

Woah, I had no idea about this! It's crazy, specially if you consider than in Australia there surely are a lot cases of Lyme (the right place for tick proliferation). This is truly saddening, I feel so sorry for those who are almost certain they suffer from Lyme, but they can't even get the official diagnosis. So troublesome. In my country Lyme is recognized, just last month they were reporting more cases... in kids and some sort of tick plague.

Woah, I had no idea about this! It's crazy, specially if you consider than in Australia there surely are a lot cases of Lyme (the right place for tick proliferation). This is truly saddening, I feel so sorry for those who are almost certain they suffer from Lyme, but they can't even get the official diagnosis. So troublesome. In my country Lyme is recognized, just last month they were reporting more cases... in kids and some sort of tick plague.

That's what I thought, that the climate there in some places really would be the perfect breeding ground for ticks - I can't imagine how the people suffering from it must feel. It's hard enough dealing with a Lyme diagnosis when you have all the right things in place for treatment - but when it's not even recognized it just adds a whole new level of stress to it all.

That's what I thought, that the climate there in some places really would be the perfect breeding ground for ticks - I can't imagine how the people suffering from it must feel. It's hard enough dealing with a Lyme diagnosis when you have all the right things in place for treatment - but when it's not even recognized it just adds a whole new level of stress to it all.

Yeah, I can imagine the frustration they must feel :( Specially if all the doctors there don't believe in Lyme o_O I mean, I can imagine how everything goes once the person starts feeling awful... the Google their symptoms, then maybe find out they could have Lyme thanks to the symptoms list, because nothing else matches their exact symptoms. Then they go see heir doctor, only to find out the doctor who doesn't even beleive in that diagnosis...

So awful :( I'm glad I don't live there, but this kind of situation is so hard to beleive... is not like we are still in the 50's or something.

That's as awful as the nonsensical belief of vaccines as a main cause of autism. It's proven that lyme disease exists, It's proven that the Borrelia burgdorferi is the disease's vector . What's wrong with these people?

That's as awful as the nonsensical belief of vaccines as a main cause of autism. It's proven that lyme disease exists, It's proven that the Borrelia burgdorferi is the disease's vector . What's wrong with these people?

The only thing I can think of is that they think the ticks carrying Lyme don't exist in Australia - but that's not to say that Australians traveling abroad couldn't have picked it up! It certainly does seem naïve to think it simply doesn't exist at all in a country. Hopefully that way of thinking changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back