PDA

View Full Version : Here's Exactly What to Do If You Find a Tick on Your Clothes

Trellie
06-03-2016, 08:11 PM
A very interesting little article that instructs you what to do in case you find a think on your clothes.

If you plan to spend a lot of time outdoors this summer, you'll want to be up on this latest study from the journal Ticks and Tick-borne Diseases.

In a series of experiments that involved more than 1,000 lab-raised blacklegged (aka deer) adult and immature ticks, researchers determined the very best way to get the creepy-crawly critters off your clothes: Put your duds in the dryer on high heat for a minimum of six minutes.

For the full article, simply copy the title of this thread and paste it into your preferred search engine.

lymegreen
06-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Thankfully I haven't yet found a tick on my clothes - but it's good to know of some tips to prevent them if I do find one. We do get ticks here, but probably not as much as some other states. Awareness to me though is a big key to prevention!

oportosanto
06-06-2016, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the tip. I also think that the sun helps them to go away.

zerthi
06-06-2016, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. Is a fact that ticks are vulnerable to high temperatures and don't like making contact with an intolerably warm surface, even if is the skin of a healthy host.

oportosanto
06-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Pretty much, they prefer damper environments that is why they get close to us.

Azrile
06-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Probably not a bad idea for kids. If they are playing outdoors and you donīt have time to get them baths and change clothes at that moment, just have them through their current clothes in the dryer for a few minutes. Ticks dry out very quickly, even just being trapped in full sunlight for a few minutes will kill them.

oportosanto
06-08-2016, 06:06 AM
Indeed, the dryer can provide value in this case, a good option.