Toronto identifies areas where ticks that cause Lyme disease are found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellie

Hi guys, people living in Toronto might find this article really interesting and useful. The risk of getting infected with Lyme in this city is low, but is not an absolute zero.

Toronto public health officials have begun to put up signs in the city where blacklegged ticks have been found and they are warning the public that these ticks can spread Lyme disease.

"The risk of acquiring Lyme disease in Toronto is considered low," says Dr. Howard Shapiro, Associate Medical Officer of Health and Director of Healthy Environments at Toronto Public Health, said Tuesday.

"However, this is the time of year where individuals and families start to enjoy time outdoors, so it is important that people know where ticks have been found and how to prevent Lyme disease."

The areas identified in the city as having blacklegged ticks are Morningside Park, Cedar Ridge Park and Rouge Park in Scarborough as well as Algonquin Island, part of the Toronto Island group of parks, across the harbour from the city's downtown.

If you want to read the rest of the article, then please copy the title of this thread, then paste it into Google search.

It's great to see a local government really being aware about Lyme and educating the local community about it more. If people are able to avoid certain areas where the blacklegged ticks are present, then hopefully that's a significant step in terms of prevention.

It's a wonderful thing when awareness really starts to happen. I think the more people learn about Lyme Disease, the better treatment will be, and also hopefully the instance of cases occurring will lessen too.

Yes, I think there is definitely more awareness when it comes to Lyme, but I think there still is a long way :/ Hopefully in the next two decades a cure will be found, or at least we will be able to gain more knowledge on it. At least make most doctors aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back