A new test for Lyme disease comes from an unlikely source: a summer intern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellie

Hi guys! I found an article about a new test that has a lot potential to help diagnose several diseases, including Lyme. They might add Zika to the list as well!

WASHINGTON — Temple Douglas grew up in the fields of Luckett, Virginia, where the ticks that cause Lyme disease lie in wait in the tall grass.

Her mother and brother struggled with the disease and before she was out of her teens, Douglas — an aspiring scientist — was fighting back.

She was a high school student on a summer internship at George Mason University when she learned researchers there were working on a new form of nanotechnology that they hoped could be used to detect early signs of cancer. Douglas suggested they use it to create a new test for Lyme.

“I didn’t know what to expect,” Douglas said. “But I had an idea and I thought I would ask.”

Alessandra Luchini — one of the developers of the new nanotechnology — became her mentor, instructing the teenager in the intricacies of the lab. The summer internship took on a life of its own, with Douglas becoming a fixture in the laboratory in late afternoons and evenings. She would travel to Mason after her classes at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax, Virginia.

If you want to read the full article, then google '' new test for lyme''. I won't post the link here because that can be troublesome.

Thanks for sharing this Trellie! I think it's really important a correct diagnose because if we don't have it, we might have the disease and be unaware of it. Checking out the full story on google.

That's awesome though. It really shows that brilliance and ideas can come from practically anyone, all you need is the chance to voice your concern. It might have only started as a small idea, but it could very well be a major change when testing for diseases. It's amazing though, to think that a small idea could lead to so much improvement in the field of medicine.

Somr people are naturally brilliant and good for solving problem, personally I'm not that surprised this whole idea came from the mind of this girl. After all this will be her field of work in the future :) Just a brilliant girl with a real love for what she does. Good for her, I truly hope her discovery is actively used in the future, the fact this can be used to test for other ailments makes it incredible. No idea why this hasn't really been talked about so much... I mean, one would think this kind of news would make it to the front page of any site or newspaper...

Thanks for sharing this Trellie! I think it's really important a correct diagnose because if we don't have it, we might have the disease and be unaware of it. Checking out the full story on google.

Glad to hear you found this useful, and yes, I hope you did check it out :) It's actually interesting, but I can't help to wonder why the medical community and the media general is not giving this test more coverage? The fact it can be used to test many other diseases is brilliant! Why are they hiding it like this? Is there something we don't know about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back