A rare case of stroke as an early symptom of Lyme disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

A case report came out presenting a 43 year old patient who had profound cerebrovascular infarcts and was found to have neuroborreliosis, which is the type of Lyme disease that has spread to infect the brain. The infection was causing the patient to develop meningitis which proceeded to create several infarcts that lead to stroke. (The patient survived in the end.)

It was proposed that patients who don't already have a clear risk to developing stroke or cerebrovascular episodes (such as from an existing atherosclerosis), should be suspected to have Lyme disease and be tested anyway.

Has anyone ever encountered Lyme disease manifesting this way?

Source of article: "Stroke as an Unusual First Presentation of Lyme Disease", by Mohamad Almoussa, Angelika Goertzen, Barbara Fauser, and Christoph W. Zimmermann
Case Reports in Neurological Medicine
Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 389081, 4 pages

Note: This post is not intended to be a diagnostic guideline, but a prompt for educational purposes and dialogue.

This is rare, similar to amoeba infecting the brain of someone infected with it. This is a really rare and unfortunate situation, but as with any bacteria there is always a chance it might infect the brain and cause a bacterial meningitis. Fungus, viruses, bacteria and even parasites can cause meningitis, the bacterial one is the most dangerous one.

There are always rare cases, but it doesn't mean there is a direct connection between the disease and having a stroke.

I thought the Lymme disease just cause flu symptoms. I was not aware that it could cause stroke. I recommend getting rid of the bugs so the problem can go away. You should be fine if you get rid of those bugs.

I wasn't aware of the potential of Lyme Disease to cause a stroke either. I was surprised to hear it, actually.

My niece mainly had joint pains and some fevers, and just generally feeling unwell. Thankfully it didn't get to the level of having a stroke for her - but it's all the more reason to raise awareness of Lyme Disease and just how serious it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back