7 Ways To Prevent Lyme Disease This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like hibernation for bears and certain reptiles? That is interesting, but the difference is the lack of CO2, or does the temperature play a role as well? I must admit I don't know that much about ticks, specially their migrations habits, but this is very interesting.

It is simply a matter of waiting for food to be available. Most animals and insects only have two goals in life, eat and reproduce. Ticks get to a state where if there are no mammals nearby, they simply take a nap. There is no use for them to spend time crawling around etc if there is nothing to eat. And what wakes them up is a slight increase in carbon dioxide.. basically they smell us breathing, and that tells them a meal is nearby and they wake up.

Opportunus is confusing two different things though. A lot of diseases have a dormant phase. Many viruses enter our cells and do nothing for weeks or months. HIV is like that. A disease being dormant once it infects someone is completely different than what I am talking about.

Ticks are more like bears. They just go to sleep when there is no food around, and wake up when the food arrives.

Exactly, so we need to realize we are the food and stay away from them.

nah. You can´t just ´avoid forests´ .. again, keep things in perspective. This is a fairly rare disease that is EASILY prevented by removing the tick within 24 hrs. this is a disease that is EASILY treated if you recognize the rash and report it to your doctor.

We can´t lock ourselves in sterile rooms to avoid getting any diseases. Life is life, and life without hikes and camping, and going out in nature would suck.

This is very EASY, the entire problem. SImply this. If you go into the woods, make sure you inspect yourself and your kids when you are getting your baths that night. Take 1 minute and learn what the rash looks like if you are person that spends a lot of time in the woods, and report that rash to your doctor right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back