Lyme disease in dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerthi

Lyme disease is one of the most common tick-transmitted diseases in the world but only causes symptoms in 5-10% of affected dogs. When infection leads to disease in dogs, the dominant clinical feature is recurrent lameness due to inflammation of the joints. There may also be a lack of appetite and depression. More serious complications include damage to the kidneys, and rarely, heart or nervous system disease.

Kidney disease appears to be more prevalent in Labrador retrievers, golden retrievers, Shetland sheepdogs, and Bernese Mountain dogs. Experimentally, young dogs appear to be more susceptible to Lyme disease than older dogs. Transmission of the disease has been reported in dogs throughout the United States and Europe, but is most prevalent in the upper Midwestern states, the Atlantic seaboard, and the Pacific coastal states.

PREVENTION

If possible, avoid allowing your dog to roam in tick-infested environments where Lyme disease is common. Check your dog’s coat and skin daily and remove ticks by hand. Your veterinarian can also recommend a variety of sprays, collars, and spot-on topical products that kill and repel ticks. Such products should be used under a veterinarian's supervision and according to the label's directions.

Interesting that it's tick transmitted, but only affects 5-10% of the dogs. Most likely they have natural defenses against this...

Interesting that it's tick transmitted, but only affects 5-10% of the dogs. Most likely they have natural defenses against this...

It is probably more likely that dogs just don´t have the ability to communicate their symptoms and have themselves tested or treated. :)

But seriously, the real reason is probably just grooming. A tick that is removed in the first 24hrs has a very low chance of transmitting the bacteria. Most dogs and cats groom themselves constantly and therefore would probably remove the tick very early, where in many humans, the tick is not spotted unless the person does an active search for them or if the child has a parent inspect them. Literally, this is the reason you always see animals grooming themselves, to prevent these types of diseases.

I'm not sure on that one. It could mean that only 5 to 10% have symptoms that are observable by humans. Much more could actually have the disease. At least that is what I thought on my first read of the post, but I could be wrong.

Interesting! I had my doubts about it, I wasn't sure dogs could also have Lyme. If this is the case and the dog gets infested with ticks, then that is a huge risk for the owner. I actually had several pets when I was younger, including a hen... when I got that poor thing she was infested with ticks. I feel awful for those poor animals that are infested with those awful critters.

It is probably more likely that dogs just don´t have the ability to communicate their symptoms and have themselves tested or treated. :)

But seriously, the real reason is probably just grooming. A tick that is removed in the first 24hrs has a very low chance of transmitting the bacteria. Most dogs and cats groom themselves constantly and therefore would probably remove the tick very early, where in many humans, the tick is not spotted unless the person does an active search for them or if the child has a parent inspect them. Literally, this is the reason you always see animals grooming themselves, to prevent these types of diseases.

Cats can reach a tick almost anywhere in their body, sadly dogs are not that good at that, mostly because they are not as flexible as cats (I own a cat and a dog - and yes, cats can get rid of any critter almost anywhere in their body).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back