South and North Tick species contractibility: follow up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

As @limegreen accurately said that there are strong cases of recurrent infections even in the South, one study seems to shed some light as to why:

In this study by Janice Van Zee et al, researchers studied the migration patterns of tick subspecies and discovered that the northern tick (which are the more mobile and contractible ones) tend to migrate more and more south.

Source: "Nuclear Markers Reveal Predominantly North to South Gene Flow in Ixodes scapularis, the Tick Vector of the Lyme Disease Spirochete"
By Janice Van Zee, Joseph F. Piesman, Andrias Hojgaard, William Cormack Black IV
PLOS journal, Published: November 4, 2015

I definitely think that this is something that seems to be happening. My niece is in Alabama and has lived there all her life - and apart from the odd vacation here or there that's where I imagine she would have contracted Lyme from! So I do think migration is absolutely happening.

This is scary, and I guess we will be hearing of more and ore new cases of Lyme, given the fact climate change is also having an impact on the migration of those diseased ticks :( I hope we don't end up deal with a plague anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back