Ticks that can carry Lyme disease becoming abundant in Madison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellie

When Susan Paskewitz searched the UW Arboretum two years ago for immature deer ticks, the kind most likely to infect people with Lyme disease, she found 32.

Last year, during the same amount of sampling at the same 17 sites in the Arboretum, she found 592.

“We’re really seeing them move into areas in Madison, in Milwaukee and in other parts of southeast Wisconsin,” said Paskewitz, a UW-Madison professor of entomology.

Needless to say I will never see forests the same way! If you want to read the full story, just copy the title of this thread and paste it into any search engine (I don't post the link to the site here because my posts ).

I'm definitely an outdoorsy type person, but having my niece suffer from Lyme Disease has absolutely changed my perception of the outdoors. You think most people would be worried about large animals like bears when they're hiking through a forested area - but now my biggest concern is ticks. I think when you suffer from Lyme yourself or have a family member or friend suffering from it, you definitely begin to think more about just how dangerous to your health those little guys can be.

Not sure if I can post links, but I was just looking at a map that showed highest concentrations, and the major area seemed to be centered on NE Pennsylvania and includes Maryland, NJ and NY. But then there is a big dark area over Wisconsin and stretches into Minnesota. I guess they share similar seasons and moisture patterns so the ticks breed at their best.

Well. Every person that lives there ought to be taking preventive measures right away. But don't get paranoid, I'm aware that nymph ticks are very sneaky, but with a comprehensive body examination could be spot on.

Well. Every person that lives there ought to be taking preventive measures right away. But don't get paranoid, I'm aware that nymph ticks are very sneaky, but with a comprehensive body examination could be spot on.

I'd still be careful, they can hide in places you'd never think they would. Better be safe than sorry and avoid those woody areas if you can. At least that is what I do, I no longer like to bring blankets to lie on the grass (forest & park), because you never know. For now I rather not risk it.

I'm definitely an outdoorsy type person, but having my niece suffer from Lyme Disease has absolutely changed my perception of the outdoors. You think most people would be worried about large animals like bears when they're hiking through a forested area - but now my biggest concern is ticks. I think when you suffer from Lyme yourself or have a family member or friend suffering from it, you definitely begin to think more about just how dangerous to your health those little guys can be.

Yeah, same here. My cousin has Lyme has well, and this has completely changed my view of forests and parks... Ticks really scare me! They can hide in places you wouldn't expect, and the worst thing is that you can't feel them! They are so sneaky.

Not sure if I can post links, but I was just looking at a map that showed highest concentrations, and the major area seemed to be centered on NE Pennsylvania and includes Maryland, NJ and NY. But then there is a big dark area over Wisconsin and stretches into Minnesota. I guess they share similar seasons and moisture patterns so the ticks breed at their best.

Yikes! I'd have never guessed places like NY would be so infested!

Yikes! I'd have never guessed places like NY would be so infested!

Not really New York City, but upstate New York. Western Maryland, Central PA, Western New Jersey and basically all of New York State except New York City is very wooded area. I grew up in central PA. Besides Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, pretty much the entire rest of the state is forests mixed in with farmlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back