General info about ticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerthi

Ticks are small arachnids critters in the "Acari Parasitiformes". They are ectoparasites, which means, It can live outside the host.

Tick species are widely distributed around the world, but they tend to thrive in countries with warm, humid climates, because they require a certain amount of moisture in the air to undergo metamorphosis, and because low temperatures inhibit their development from egg to larva. Ticks of domestic animals, like livestock, are especially common and varied in tropical countries.

For an ecosystem to support ticks, it must satisfy two requirements: the population density of host species in the area must be high enough, and humidity must be high enough for ticks to remain hydrated According to these studies, certain features of a given microclimate – such as sandy soil, hardwood trees, rivers, and the presence of deer – were determined to be good predictors of dense tick populations.

I think a big part of understanding Lyme Disease is understanding ticks - their environments, how they thrive - to then understand how to better get a grasp on Lyme Disease itself.

Slowly but surely I think as we learn more, it'll become less common. At least, that's my hope!

Interesting, that makes sense! So ticks do really well in warm and humid climates? This can be a really problem nowadays, because it seems the climate change is really messing with our the temperatures all over the world. I read somewhere that is having an impact on the tick population as well. Can't be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back