Connection Between ALS and Lyme disease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never mind Terry...I just read your introduction which answered some of my questions. Has your speech and choking gotten any better since you started taking the medications?
Dana

Dana:

I've only been on antibiotics for 2 weeks. If there has been an impact on speech it has been slight. My biggest improvements on speech have come from electronic accupuncture. That is instantaneous.

I took Welchol last night. It sure fired up the irritable bowell syndrome. I've got a 2 day tax seminar next week. I won't be taking it those days. The week after I'm going to Arkansas duck hunting so I'll probably lay off it then also.

What is the electronic accupuncture? Is it similar to regular accupuncture? Do your receive these treatments from a doctor? I'll pass this info on to my dad. I think he would try anything to get his speech better. He practices reading aloud hoping it will improve his speech. I think it gives him a little confidence boost if anything. Thanks for the info Terry. I appreciate it.
Dana
Have fun duck hunting. We have a lot of ducks and deer where I live...a hunter's dream! :)

Dana:

The eletronic accupuncture is similar to regular. I've been on Welchol for 10 days and I'm starting to get some results. Feel like I'm getting a spring back in my step.

Hi Terry -

Also very interested in you success in improving speech using electronic acupuncture. I'm assuming you have the e-Acu-Pen electronic acupuncture pen, right?

What part of your body do you apply it to that makes your speech improve? I've looked for acupuncture resources and can't find any that discuss speech issues. Are you administering the electronic acupuncture on yourself?

Any additional info would be appreciated.

Tom

I go to a chiropractor and she has about 8 or 9 points on each ear. I'm going this morning and I'll get a better description.

Tom:

I went this morning. Here is the long explanation. This is called Auriculotherapy. Its like reflexology for accupuncture. The patient holds a wand(that completes the circuit) and the Doc uses a pencil-like probe to send a mild shock thru various points on the ear. There is a meter that helps find the exact points.

Here are the points she uses on me:

Shen Med
Autonomic
Point Zero
Spinal Motor Neurons
Endocrine
Medulla Oblongata
Thalamus
Mouth Point
Tongue Point

Wow, that's sounds pretty cool Terry! I'll do a bit of research on it - thanks! In the meantime, a few questions if you have time... How long does the session take? After the session, is the improvement to your speech immediate? How significant an improvement do you find it gives you? How long does it last?

Thanks, Tom

Tom:

The therapy lasts about 15 minutes and the results are immediate. It seems to last about 3 days, however the results seem cummulative also.

Take a look at the cool laser treatments also. The results are similar.

Sounds good. I'm in New York, so would imagine I'll be able to find a practitioner... hope so... if anyone knows of one near me, please chime in!

Thanks, Tom

Dana:

An update on my treatments with IV Rocephine.
Overall, I feel a little worse than before I started. I sleep a lot more than usual. I feel fatigued a lot. Occasionally I'll have a day where I feel great.

I'm getting a liter IV of Vitamin C every week and a shot of B12. The welchol is starting to kick-in. My herx's are of short duration 3- 4 hours.

I've managed to miss the flu and colds the rest of my family is getting.

How is your dad doing?

Hey Terry,
Dad is doing a little better. He has been pretty sick since right before Thanksgiving. He had a horrible cold with hot flashes and was not eating hardly anything at all. He has probably lost 15 pounds in the last two and a half weeks. He just started getting his appetite back yesterday and began eating again. We have been pretty worried about him. But, it looks like he is beginning to climb the upside of the hill finally. I am going to mention the accupuncture idea to him for the speech. (I forgot to mention it before) He did some accupuncture towards the beginning of his illness (before he was diagnosed), but stopped after awhile. He might be interested in starting up again if it could help him talk better. It is getting harder and harder to understand him. Poor guy...it makes you feel so bad for him when you can't understand what he is saying. Anyways, I hope you are feeling well and taking care of yourself. Keep me posted on any changes you find with the rocephine.
Dana

Dana:

Look into Welchol. When I take 2 doses twice a day the Herx are minor the following day. If not then I'm miserable.

It takes about 3 weeks to kick in.

Hello,
Can you please tell me if anyone from New England's States reading the forum knows of a Lyme literate doctor-PLEASE.
My father was diagn with ALS a year ago, we just now prevailed to have a Lyme test - came back positive, the neuro can't help (we are used to that!) and told us to look for a Lyme dr. I have been calling, surfing the web and doctors' information it is not as readily availble as one might think for such a prevalent disease in New England.
Thanks you!
Upila

Thanks, Terry - I just looked at it, and seems will be spending quite some time there. I have found here the pool of wonderful, helpful people - the same there, too. Can't imagine what we would do without helping one another!
Upila

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back