Kris Kristofferson Has Lyme Disease, Not Alzheimer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

lymegreen

Country music legend Kris Kristofferson, who has battled memory problems for years, is apparently among many Americans who have been misdiagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, only to learn later that they actually have a treatable illness – in this case, Lyme disease, a top expert says.

“I think that it’s possible for Lyme disease to be misdiagnosed as Alzheimer’s and Kris Kristofferson’s story speaks to the importance of an accurate diagnosis,” Dr. Gary Small, director of the University of California-Los Angeles Longevity Center, tells Newsmax Health.

Kristofferson, 79, was under the belief that his longstanding memory problems stemmed from Alzheimer's, but now his wife says that the iconic singer, songwriter, and award-wining actor actually had untreated Lyme disease. After just a few weeks of treatment, he turned around, she says.

For the full article, simply search the subject line of this thread in your preferred search engine.

Unfortunately I think people getting misdiagnosed is just something that for now, we are going to have to learn to live with. Even the greatest doctors in the world who are looking after the richest people in the world get it wrong sometimes and I don't think we can blame the doctors either though.

When you look at the symptoms of a few different illnesses they can be very similar and it's hard to diagnose a disease or illness 100% no matter how much of an expert you are.

Unfortunately I think people getting misdiagnosed is just something that for now, we are going to have to learn to live with. Even the greatest doctors in the world who are looking after the richest people in the world get it wrong sometimes and I don't think we can blame the doctors either though.

When you look at the symptoms of a few different illnesses they can be very similar and it's hard to diagnose a disease or illness 100% no matter how much of an expert you are.

Yes, it definitely seems to be a thing with Lyme - I know with my niece there was a lot of running around in circles, getting second, third and fourth opinions, getting frustrated - it was tough. Like you said the interplay of Lyme symptoms with other illnesses can make it trickier. I hadn't heard of it being misdiagnosed for Alzheimers before though, so it was interesting to me in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back