Here's how to know if you have Lyme disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellie

Hi guys! I found this super useful info graph, which by the way is not intended to replace a visit to the doctor, but it can be quite useful if you are suspecting you might have Lyme.

Lyme disease is a bacterial infection that's spread primarily though the bite of an infected black-legged tick. These tiny insects, which can carry the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi, typically live in wooded and grassy areas.

While lyme disease was once thought of as fairly rare, recent estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggest it's actually 10 times more common than we'd assumed, infecting roughly 300,000 Americans each year.

Common symptoms of lyme disease (in blue) include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic bulls-eye skin rash. But if left untreated, the infection can spread to the joints, heart, and nervous system and cause more serious problems. Luckily, most cases can be treated successfully with antibiotics.

If you want to check the info graph, then copy the title of this thread and paste it on your preferred search engine. I'd post the link here, but whenever I do that my posts are sent into moderation.

I really recommend you to check the info graph, it contains a lot useful information and many common and uncommon Lyme symptoms.

Recently checked that out. Is really neat and informative. An excellent way to show the symptons in a nutshell, easy to share through media and also catches more the attention than just plain text.

Yeah, I thought so too, sadly this forum doesn't seem to support sharing images and such :( But hopefully the people who get to this post and truly need it... cope and pate the title of this thread and find it. Info graphs are so useful, they are often sub-estimated, but they are the best way to get ideas across and teach new things.

I love when complex information is simplified like that - infographics to me are a really good way of getting information across!

I do think it's still tough though because so many of the symptoms are so intertwined with other things - I think that's why we see so many cases of misdiagnosis occurring. But still, it's useful for people to have an understanding of symptoms that can occur,

I have most of the symptoms but they are caused by other conditions. I don't have Lyme disease, but because of the state of my health I may not catch it in time if I were to get it. The rash is the only thing that would give it away if I were to be infected, but not everyone develops it.

While the graph and the thread is obviously helpful and interesting, with Lyme disease unfortunately it's not that simple.

As you say, a lot of the symptoms can be brought on by other illnesses and that's also another reason why Lyme diseases isn't getting diagnosed as and when it should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back