Children with swollen, painful knees: Is it Lyme disease or septic arthritis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellie

Septic or infectious arthritis of the knee and Lyme disease have similar symptoms in children but require different immediate treatment to ensure optimal recovery. A new study in the May 4 issue of the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery identifies four symptoms that are predictive of septic arthritis when the condition presents itself in a child's knee--an important distinction in areas where Lyme disease is prevalent.

Septic arthritis is considered a medical emergency requiring surgical irrigation (flushing) and drainage to prevent rapid and irreversible destruction of the cartilage surrounding the knee. Lyme disease, an infection common in the northwest and northeast parts of the U.S. and caused by bacteria normally found in deer and transmitted to humans through ticks, is treated with antibiotics. In addition to knee swelling and pain, both conditions may cause a fever, swelling of other joints, irritability and an inability to bear weight on the affected extremity. Common laboratory tests to measure inflammation, as well as white blood cell counts, also may be elevated.

Sadly the symptoms of both diseases are so similar, but septic arthritis can cause irreversible damage to the cartilage. That is why it's so important to be alert and always take your kid's symptoms lightly. Be careful with your kids people!

If you want to read the full article, then please copy the title of this thread and paste it into any search engine. You should be able to find it.

There are millions of things that give symptoms that are similar to Lyme Disease. It is why the tick discovery/history is so important along with the observation of the very distinct rash that follows. Aside from those two things, there aren´t any other symptoms that would narrow you into Lyme Disease rather than dozens of other things. It is why for children, careful and frequent examinations of your children are important. Not only so that you can find and remove the tick, but also so that you can observe the rash and describe it to the doctor.

This was actually one of the symptoms that my niece had. At first I think my brother and sister in law just assumed it was because she played a lot of sports at school - and I guess part of their thought process also assumed it was probably just growing pains too. I think a lot of parents put their kids soreness down to that, because it seems like when kids are growing they all complain of aches and pains!

I definitely think if your child keeps complaining about persistent pain or especially swelling of any kind, take them to the doctor - and if nothing changes absolutely push for a second opinion.

Septic arthritis of the knee and Lyme disease have some similar symptoms in children, yes, but their approach in treatment is quite different. Septic arthritis requires flushing and drainage to prevent rapid and irreversible destruction of the cartilage surrounding the knee. Lyme disease is caused by a bacteria, therefore is treated with suitable antibiotics. Seems that the septic arthritis is more
dangerous due to knee cartilage's damage, but nevertheless, whether they have similar symptoms or not, Immediate medical assistance is suggested. Don't self medicate or medicate your children without a medic supervision even if you think you know what you're doing. I know of certain people that self medicate with antibiotics no sooner They feel feverish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back