Could this be Lyme

Status
Not open for further replies.

angela27374

Hello all,
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
I have been going to my neurologist for about 8-9 months trying to figure this out.
I am 47 year old female. Have had Lyme twice and treated. Just had testing recently and Lyme did not show up. (Although I understand once you have it, you always have it.)
Have had brain surgery for Arnold Chiari Malformation; that was 14 years ago. I have had great success with that surgery.
Have herniated discs in my cervical area, non of which require surgery.
Have had 3 back surgeries, the last being a fusion in 2006; back pain is mostly gone. I do have some nerve damage in left foot as a result.

The symptoms that have brought me here are these: I feel much weaker in my arms and legs. No clinical weakness diagnosed, but at least they should have a starting point now. Experience tremors after doing most things, it feels like I've worked out and the muscles are exhausted. Fasciculations in tongue, legs and other body parts. Muscle spasms and cramps in legs, arms, shoulders...
I've had MRI to rule out MS. I've had test for Parkinson's. Both were negative. An EMG showed increased motor unit duration and increased polyphasic potentials for right bicep and right deltoid.
All blood work is normal. Thyroid is normal.
Thanks for reading. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Seeing how all your symptoms are sensory, I would have to say no ALS. Asymetry between hands is common as are fasciculations. I'd say Lyme disease rearing its ugly head.
Vincent

Xstenox: like Vincent, I don't see any ALS there. Your symptoms could many things much more common, and the EMG didn't detect ALS, so that would close the door on ALS.

Hi there! Have you had a MRI of your lumbar spine done? I had the very same muscle contractions in my leg's muscle. I still have them from time time. It seems mine is caused by two bulging disks, to be more exact L4 and L5 -S1. Sadly I needed extra testing, but he didn't care. Just when I thought this doctor couldn't be worse than the previous one. I guess I will never know! Best luck to you thought, please keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back