It May Not Be “Just Fibro” – It Could Be Lyme Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

lymegreen

I never completely accepted my fibromyalgia diagnosis. It didn’t make sense to me that one day my body just decided to go haywire for no reason. I’ve always believed there must be an underlying cause for my fibromyalgia symptoms. Pain is a signal that something is wrong in the body. So is fatigue and the compendium of other symptoms associated with fibromyalgia.

Once my doctors labeled me with fibromyalgia, they stopped looking for the causes of my symptoms. They blamed everything on “just fibro.”

But ever since my diagnosis, I’ve had this nagging question in my mind: What if it isn’t “just fibro”?

I read this interesting piece online, about the possibility of Lyme disease being mistaken for Fibromyalgia. If you want to read the full piece, just search the thread title in your preferred search engine!

She lived with supossely diagnosed fibromyalgia symptoms for 16 years before she was finally diagnosed with Lyme and other tick-borne diseases (TBD) in 2007. She describes her symptoms as the typical ones we all associate with fibro: fatigue, muscle and joint pain, headaches and allodynia, but she also had some less common ones, like numbness in the hands and feet, irregular heartbeat and muscle twitches. Williams now educates others in regards of TBD, hoping her story will help some people avoid that same nightmare.

She never bought into the “it’s just fibro” explanation of her doctor. But in the other hand, She don't claim that Lyme disease is responsible for all cases of fibromyalgia.

She has a hopeful perception towards her Lyme diagnosis. Because for her situation at least is getting the right treatment now towards a successful recovery more than the previous "just Fibro" diagnosis.

If I were her. I would be also relieved after an accurate diagnosis for a treatable disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back