What makes Lyme disease tick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellie

According to this article preventing Lyme can sometimes be more expensive than treating it, do you agree?

SARANAC LAKE — Spending more time outdoors means greater risk of exposure to ticks, the small arachnids responsible for transmitting Lyme disease.

Adirondack Health hopes to arm area residents with knowledge of the parasites and the illness they harbor with its latest Community Outreach Series, titled "New research regarding the effects of Lyme disease."

For the full article, simply copy the title of this thread onto your preferred search engine. You should be able to find it.

I guess I can see why prevention is more expensive than cure - but I wouldn't wish Lyme upon anyone, so to me preventing it is a much better alternative!

I do think though as we learn more and more about the disease, ways to prevent it will become more apparent and then hopefully the costs will be reduced.

That's a quite outrageous claim. Preventing lyme disease is always cheaper than treating it. Remember, the disease could lead to neurological complications in some stages such as numbness, pain, weakness, Bell's palsy, visual disturbances, and meningitis symptoms such as fever, stiff neck, and severe headache. Other problems, which may not appear until weeks, months, or years after a tick bite, include decreased concentration, irritability, memory and sleep disorders, and nerve damage in the arms and legs.

Sure, antibiotics treatment is not that expensive, but is your health that It is at stake.

Where is the cost in preventing the disease, you inspect yourself after coming in from the woods, there is no cost. If you have a kid under 6, you inspect them, then you teach them the importance of checking for ticks when they take a bath. I am not sure I agree with this article just because it did not include many of the hidden costs of treatment, such as the global impact of antibiotic resistant bacteria. What happens when the bacteria that causes Lymes becomes resistant to all of our antibiotics?

Yes, that's free, but awareness to the populations and doctors about the disease costs money, developing effective tests.

Yes, that's free, but awareness to the populations and doctors about the disease costs money, developing effective tests.

But the comment was that the treatment is cheaper than the prevention.

The fact ( in my mind) is that Lyme Disease is rarely diagnosis correctly without the patient mentioning finding a tick, reporting the rash, or mentioning they spend a lot of time in the woods.

Lyme disease is rare enough that there is very likely to be an effective and cheap test anytime soon. Without you giving them the information I said above, doctors will be running a large amount of test for other diseases before they even consider adding on that as of yet ´imaginary´ test kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back