Lyme disease maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerthi

In centers for disease control and prevention. You can consult a map that describes all Lyme disease reported cases distributed by region. The data was last updated
in 2014, but you can notice the huge concentration of
reported cases in northeastern U.S region: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware, Maryland and Washington D.C.. With a bit less in North area, in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

What do you think?

In centers for disease control and prevention. You can consult a map that describes all Lyme disease reported cases distributed by region. The data was last updated
in 2014, but you can notice the huge concentration of
reported cases in northeastern U.S region: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware, Maryland and Washington D.C.. With a bit less in North area, in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

What do you think?

You can just go to Google and type in ´maps of lyme disease cases´ and you will get dozens of them. Yeah, as you described there are basically two hubs, one seems to be centered on NE PA, and the other on Wisconsin, which isn´t as big of an area, but which is just as intense in actual cases.

I think it's important to be aware about these maps and these centers, not only out of curiosity, but also as a prevention.

That is really scary, I had heard about New York being heavily impacted by Lyme, but I have never truly understood why? Is not like NY is a heavily wooded area... So how come NY is really affected by Lyme!? I hope someone can explain me, I just can't get it.

Having an idea of where the hotspots are is useful, I think, in being able to be more vigilant. But I guess it also makes me think that people outside these areas may become complacent and think Lyme carrying ticks may not exist in their area - and that can be a dangerous mindset to have in my opinion!

That might be true, but to be honest we need to focus on the areas with more cases.

Of course - I totally understand that, and that's the logical approach! But I do think that it's about raising the profile of Lyme as a whole - and working on prevention from tick bites everywhere, not just in the impacted areas.

My niece isn't in one of the impacted areas, but still has been diagnosed with Lyme. I think maybe if there was more of an understanding of it then her parents would have maybe understood the source of her illness earlier :)

Just my two cents!

That is really scary, I had heard about New York being heavily impacted by Lyme, but I have never truly understood why? Is not like NY is a heavily wooded area... So how come NY is really affected by Lyme!? I hope someone can explain me, I just can't get it.

They are talking about New York the State, not New York City, they are too completely different things.

If you look at a map, New York State is huge and is mostly forests similar to central PA. New York City is located at the very SE corner of New York State, and it is doubtful there are many Lyme disease cases there except for people going on vacations to the other parts of New York State.

At the end of the day, no matter how accurate or not these maps are, what they're doing is providing people with a rough guide on where the majority of cases are but not only that it IS raising peoples awareness if the disease in the first place.

Even now, not many people know about Lyme disease and the impact it can have, so this is just one way that could help so that can only be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back