Lyme disease tips may be taught in schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

lymegreen

Read this article today - was so glad that there was an emphasis being put on education!

Teaching about Lyme disease in schools may soon become easier in New York.

The state Senate on Thursday passed legislation that would require the state Education Department to develop teaching materials and educational tools on Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases. The materials will be made available to schools free of charge.

The bill, which the Assembly passed late last month, will now head to Gov. Andrew Cuomo's desk for final approval.

“Because our children spend so much time exploring the outdoors, and because they may not know how to identify a tick, let alone alert their parents should they find one, they are especially vulnerable when it comes to contracting Lyme and tick-borne diseases,” said Sen. Sue Serino, R-Hyde Park, Dutchess County, who sponsored the measure.

If you want to read the full piece, please just search for the title of this thread in your preferred search engine!

That is great! I think making this part of the children's education is a big step towards Lyme awareness. I hope they start doing this kind of things in more and more states! Actually anything health related should be a must, and yes, I'm talking about things like nutrition and such!

I would love to see more of this type of thing. Education is a nessacary step for prevention as well as finding treatment. Schools should recognize and educate people about Lyme disease. It would be nice to see something developed for national a curriculum on the matter.

That is great! I think making this part of the children's education is a big step towards Lyme awareness. I hope they start doing this kind of things in more and more states! Actually anything health related should be a must, and yes, I'm talking about things like nutrition and such!

I hear you! I think education for so many health related things is a huge thing. Sometimes schools seem to focus too much on academics (I mean when was the last time any of us used algebra in our day to day lives?!) and not enough on our real world lives. Health education should be a big priority if you ask me!

PA, WI and NJ need to do the same thing. I´ve been preaching on these forums about ´misdiagnosis´and the truth that if you do not tell your doctor about the rash, and you didn´t see the tick, then more than likely, almost every time you are going to be misdiagnosed for a long time because there are other more common diseases that share the same symptoms with Lyme Disease. Very few doctors will pick Lyme Disease first.

It is vital that parents and kids both know to check for ticks after being in the woods, but also to recognize the rash so they can tell their doctor. If a patient tells a doctor about the rash they had, then almost every doctor ( especially in those areas) will diagnosis Lyme Disease very quickly.

It is important to also know that Lyme Disease is not transmitted until at least the second day of having a tick attached, so it is not actually the ´bite´that transmits the disease, it is the attachment for long amounts of time. Another important fact is that early treatment can eliminate almost any chance of getting long term symptoms.

Any person knowledgeable enough can contribute in developing teaching materials and educational tools on Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases. And not only for school's material, but also to increase awareness among communities.

Spreading quality Information that helps to properly educate is a powerful way to tackle the bacteria's infection.
Is not quantum mechanics or electromagnetic theory.

That's crystal clear for me, but for that process to begin it's necessary an investment, awareness costs money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back