Think Ticks Carrying Lyme Disease Aren’t In Colorado? Think Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellie

So what do you guys think? Do you think Lyme infected ticks aren't in Colorado?

GOLDEN, Colo. (CBS4) – Experts gathered to talk about Lyme disease in Golden on Saturday.

People in attendance learned more about the migration of the tick-borne illness and the treatment.

Lyme disease has spread across the globe. The Lyme Disease Association sponsored Saturday’s forum to bring awareness to a region that still believes that Lyme disease isn’t in Colorado.

For the rest of the article copy the title of this thread and paste it into Google search. You should be able to find the article :)

I'm curious to know why people don't seem to think Lyme Disease doesn't exist in Colorado. Do they think it's a climate thing perhaps, or an altitude thing? I know Colorado is quite mountainous, but I also think you can never be too careful when it comes to tick borne diseases. To think it doesn't exist where you live is really like sticking your head in the sand about a very serious illness.

No idea either :p But I am really glad those experts gathered to talk about this disease, and how it has spread all over the globe, that helps create more awareness. I only wish they could work on getting more funds, in order to research this awful disease more! There still is so much too do, like for example finding a way to test for it no matter what stage you are at...

No idea either :p But I am really glad those experts gathered to talk about this disease, and how it has spread all over the globe, that helps create more awareness. I only wish they could work on getting more funds, in order to research this awful disease more! There still is so much too do, like for example finding a way to test for it no matter what stage you are at...

Totally agree with you about the awareness side of things. When I have even mentioned that my niece has Lyme Disease to people, the first question I almost always get asked is "What's Lyme Disease?" which shows that the general population really don't know much at all about it. Awareness is key and I'm glad that slowly but surely we're getting there!

Yeah, I think things get more confusing when you mention disease like Lyme and Fibro ;) It's so hard to explain, specially with Fibro. This is why I avoid talking about my health issues, it gets tiring to explain people over and over the same thing. I hope soon the public in general, as well as most doctors get more knowledge on this awful disease.

I am skeptical after reading this report. Here is the thing.. Is the tick/bacteria really spreading? or were we just not testing for the bacteria in ticks in these areas. Even the tests for the bacteria is very new,. Even in the most infected areas of the country, Lyme disease is very rare, for areas where there is very little infection rate in humans, there would be almost no motivation to test the ticks for Lyme disease. There still are not cases of humans getting Lyme disease in those areas, but now we just have cheap testing of the ticks, which allows us to test areas we never would have bothered testing before.

Just my thoughts.

We should trust reports up to a certain extent as the infected ticks can easily spread and new reports be made...

I am skeptical after reading this report. Here is the thing.. Is the tick/bacteria really spreading? or were we just not testing for the bacteria in ticks in these areas. Even the tests for the bacteria is very new,. Even in the most infected areas of the country, Lyme disease is very rare, for areas where there is very little infection rate in humans, there would be almost no motivation to test the ticks for Lyme disease. There still are not cases of humans getting Lyme disease in those areas, but now we just have cheap testing of the ticks, which allows us to test areas we never would have bothered testing before.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, this is way too complicated :( One would think that at this time we would be better prepared to provide better diagnostic tools... and testing methods, not only for the humans, but also to check tick populations and see if they are indeed infected. I guess the main problem here is funding, or the lack of it.

You mean jump to conclusions or are you referring to the doctors not really believing their patients? I've had experience with both... I've seen how young doctors make huge mistakes, often confusing a disease with another. I hate the fact they sometimes assume the most obvious diagnosis is the right one, most of the time that leads to the misdiagnosis of this disease.

Doctors can make mistakes and give us the incorrect treatment, while our disease continues to develop, that is why we need to be careful.

I actually just read an article about a girl from Denver who is fighting Lyme - so it's proof that it's not unheard of in Colorado! It was a really inspiring story - kids are so tough and positive!

Denver Girl Determined To Fight Lyme Disease - that's the title of the story, if anyone is interested in looking it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back