New Member (Say Hi)

kristiw27138 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Aston
State: Pa
Unhappy Muscle weakness and twitching

Hello

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. I apologize if it's all over the place but I'm very scared.

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing what I can only describe as muscle weakness and twitching on my left side. My leg (mostly thigh) feels like I have a 50lb bag strapped to it. I find myself kind of dragging it and not leaning on it because it feels weak. There's no pain but more just tired for lack of a better term. My arm is the same. And I can see twitching and shaking in my hand. It doesn't appear to improve ever. Mostly remains the same. Some days are worse because I think I'm concentrating on it more.

A few days ago I ended up in the ER because I woke up and couldn't hear out of myself left hear. Like as if someone had put a cup over my ear. Add that to the muscle twitching and weakness and I thought the worst. After some blood work and a CT scan they couldn't find anything wrong. I followed up with an ENT and they couldn't find anything wrong with my hearing and it gradually came back. Weird. However the muscle weakness and twitching is still very much there.

Sleeping....at night time I feel like everything in my body is twitching. Kind of like that feeling when something scares you and you feel a rush of blood to your body. It's very strange. I don't know what any of this means but it all terrifies me. I have an appointment with my family doctor in a few days and I think they will be doing an MRI and a spinal X-Ray. Should I be pushing for more tests? I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you sincerely!
Old 11-22-2015, 06:37 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

laurie10298 has a spectacular aura about
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Seattle
State: WA
laurie10298 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Muscle weakness and twitching

Stark,
Sounds like a place to start. Just as a ruleout, I'd ask for a Lyme test since you're in an endemic area. Meanwhile, I'd look at your mattress and pillow, esp. if you sleep on your L side.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:45 PM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

greg20702 is on a distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
Diagnosed: 11/2012
greg20702 is on a distinguished road

Twitching is far too common to be diagnostic of anything.
Hearing issues have nothing to do with ALS.

So you're left with weakness which is also common.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:46 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thanks lgelb! I will ask about that. I do sleep on my side but switch sides often.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:50 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you Greg. I didn't notice that sticky but just read it. Very informative. I thank you again for responding.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:17 AM #6 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

vitor27156 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: -
State: -
vitor27156 is on a distinguished road

Hi Stark, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.
What a coincidence, though.
I joined the forums yesterday (I have been lurking for a month or so) and happened to click your post because of the title.
I'm having most of the Upper and Lower motor neurone symptoms, but in a not so classic fashion (Maybe because it is the start?)
One EMG I had pointed out to myopathy, but I'm not so sure about this diagnosed...
Now let me explain what's a coincidence here...
I happen to be having sudden hearing loss during the day and also when I wake up.
Not so drastic as yours, but I can feel my hearing getting totally blocked sometimes (I also happen to be getting tinnitus with it). I'm getting a little worried about this, more than with the ALS thing sometimes.
Now, we know ALS doesn't present itself with sensorial loss, so what is happening here?
Mere, unrelated coincidences?
After I did some google research, and thinking about the hearing loss and motor symptoms as linked together, I'm thinking maybe what I have is thyroid related, or some mitochondrial disease.
Luckly, I'm getting my thyroid blood results by tomorrow.
I'll let you informed if it's out of charts.
About getting more tests, think about having an EMG.
I'm not saying you should get one, but just so you know what it is.
Take care.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:00 PM #7 (permalink)

Trellie is on a distinguished road
City: Hoorn
State: Nord-Holland
Interest: I am a friend of someone with Lyme disease.
Trellie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiw27138 View Post
Hello

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. I apologize if it's all over the place but I'm very scared.

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing what I can only describe as muscle weakness and twitching on my left side. My leg (mostly thigh) feels like I have a 50lb bag strapped to it. I find myself kind of dragging it and not leaning on it because it feels weak. There's no pain but more just tired for lack of a better term. My arm is the same. And I can see twitching and shaking in my hand. It doesn't appear to improve ever. Mostly remains the same. Some days are worse because I think I'm concentrating on it more.

A few days ago I ended up in the ER because I woke up and couldn't hear out of myself left hear. Like as if someone had put a cup over my ear. Add that to the muscle twitching and weakness and I thought the worst. After some blood work and a CT scan they couldn't find anything wrong. I followed up with an ENT and they couldn't find anything wrong with my hearing and it gradually came back. Weird. However the muscle weakness and twitching is still very much there.

Sleeping....at night time I feel like everything in my body is twitching. Kind of like that feeling when something scares you and you feel a rush of blood to your body. It's very strange. I don't know what any of this means but it all terrifies me. I have an appointment with my family doctor in a few days and I think they will be doing an MRI and a spinal X-Ray. Should I be pushing for more tests? I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you sincerely!

YES! You need to push to get more tests! Take me as an example, if I hadn't pushed the neurologist they would have never found that cavernoma in my brain! You need to fight for your own health, doctors nowadays don't seem to care and don't have your best interest in mind. You need to read, educate yourself and push the doctors around. Ask for all the tests you might need, that is what I did... I kept seeing different doctors until one of them accepted to refer me for a brain and lumbar spine MRI.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:52 PM #8 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

rz3300 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Omaha
State: Nebraska
Interest: I am interested in learning about Lyme disease.
rz3300 is on a distinguished road

The only real way to know for sure is to go see your doctor and have the appropriate tests. Symptoms are wide ranging and themselves are often not enough to successfully diagnose someone. I have seen many misdiagnoses and overreactions in my line or work to say otherwise.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:02 AM #9 (permalink)

oportosanto is on a distinguished road
City: NY
State: NY
Diagnosed: 12/1980
Interest: I am interested in learning about Lyme disease.
oportosanto is on a distinguished road

That is true. You have already noticed that something is wrong, so now you need to get tested by a doctor and if necessary initiate a treatment.
Closed Thread

Tags
arm, back, family, hearing, mri, muscle, muscle twitching, night, pain, scared, shaking, tests, twitching, weakness, work, wrong