A new test for Lyme disease comes from an unlikely source: a summer intern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellie

Hi guys! You might find this article very interesting, I know I did! They're even talking about adding Zika to the list! How amazing is that!?

WASHINGTON — Temple Douglas grew up in the fields of Luckett, Virginia, where the ticks that cause Lyme disease lie in wait in the tall grass.

Her mother and brother struggled with the disease and before she was out of her teens, Douglas — an aspiring scientist — was fighting back.

She was a high school student on a summer internship at George Mason University when she learned researchers there were working on a new form of nanotechnology that they hoped could be used to detect early signs of cancer. Douglas suggested they use it to create a new test for Lyme.

“I didn’t know what to expect,” Douglas said. “But I had an idea and I thought I would ask.”

Alessandra Luchini — one of the developers of the new nanotechnology — became her mentor, instructing the teenager in the intricacies of the lab. The summer internship took on a life of its own, with Douglas becoming a fixture in the laboratory in late afternoons and evenings. She would travel to Mason after her classes at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax, Virginia.

If you want to read the full article, then click HERE.

Wow - what an incredible intern, who has probably made the lives of those suffering from Lyme Disease significantly easier. For so many people, it seems like getting that initial diagnosis was one of the most difficult steps, so any sort of new credible test to identify Lyme Disease is a wonderful thing. So fortunate that she interned where she did!

This is indeed amazing news, one would think this kind of news would make it to the front page of most newspapers and that would get more coverage online than this did, but rarely enough not much fuzz was done about it. It's so odd, specially because this can be used to diagnose other dangerous diseases, not only Lyme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back