Old 06-12-2006, 11:46 AM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

158 is an unknown quantity at this point
New Member (Say Hi)
158 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lyme / Borrelia burgdorferi

Hello everyone
Has anyone of you PALS made test for Lyme / Borrelia burgdorferi
and found positive with the first blood test?
Geia hara and thank you very much
Fotios
Old 07-27-2006, 11:36 PM #2 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

741 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: LA
State: CA
741 is on a distinguished road
Default re: Lyme / Borrelia burgdorferi

hi,
when my dad was first diagnosed with ALS back in 2000 i was doing a lot of research and i stumbled upon a whole group of people who believe there is a link between lyme disease and ALS. i guess its because the later stages of lyme disease have some neurological symptoms that may mimic ALS. im actually still on an als-lyme mailing list but i have lost interest in the connection. i think it would be really hard to get the two illnesses mixed up considering that lyme disease begins with a huge bull's eye rash and has a whole list of symptoms that are nothing like those of ALS.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:11 AM #3 (permalink)

71 is on a distinguished road
City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003

Negative on test first time for me too Fotios. AL.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:36 AM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

739 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Brampton
State: ontario
739 is on a distinguished road

Dear Fotios,

My mother, a 59 year old woman was diagnosed with ALS last August, then tested positive for Lyme via a lab in the US (tested negative in Canada). However, her symptoms are more similar to ALS and taking intense antiobiotics caused her to lose weight and more muscle strength. Consequently, she stopped and is currently taking glyconutrients. There seems to be a group of people on Yahoo that have an ALS/Lyme community. Is it coincidence that these two illnesses occur together? I doubt it. However, to my knowledge there are no health professionals who treat both at the same time. So, does anyone have any suggestions what we should do next?

We are confused and frustrated at the lack of a clear treatment direction, however we are grateful that her muscle wasting is slow enough for us to enjoy quality family time together.

By faith and prayers we live each day!

Lily
Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 PM #5 (permalink)

My dad tested positive for Lyme here in the US. We went through the treatments and they did not work. Dad got an iv tube placed in his chest that we administered heavy antibiotics through and we did this for 8-9 months. Dad's symptoms continued to get worse and the Lyme treatments did nothing to improve his symptoms. The doctor he saw in Colorado said that he has had success with people who have limb onset ALS and test positive for Lyme. He has had people who were so weak and could not walk much go through the treatments and walk again. Miracle cure? I'm not sure. He admitted that he had no success with patients who have Bulbar ALS, which is what my dad has. We wanted to try it out though and see for ourselves. We saw, and it seems to not have worked. Sometimes I wonder though if we should still be doing it. You always pray for that miracle.
Dana
Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM #6 (permalink)

City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003

Hi Lily. Welcome. I see you are a new member. The glyconutrients are expensive and if you use the search feature here and type it in you will find out that most people have found that they are not worth the money and there is no real way of telling if they work but the salesperson will always tell you they can't hurt. They don't hurt you only your pocketbook. Be informed. AL.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, lyme, test