can lyme disease cause or trigger ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.

It may sound stupid, but I'm scared of my lyme disease turning into ALS. I know it may be a whacky theory someone or many someones have conjured up.

I continue to get more and more worried as my healing process hasn't been as quick as I thought it would. I started ABx on 7/7 the day I was diagnosed with lyme. I have had some improvement but still have some muscle aches and muscle twitches. Just really worried and terrified of ALS. I'd rather have lyme forever than ever develop ALS

I'm just looking for people to tell me that its not true.

I know of no cases where Lyme has "turned into" ALS. Does that mean you can't get ALS? No, but your chances are no different than anyone else.

It is going to take some time for your condition to get better . . . and the longer you had symptoms . . . the longer it's going to take to get better.

You got your diagnosis of Lyme. Believe that's what you have and be patient with the healing process. Talk to your doc; I'm sure they'll explain it to you.

Clint,

Please stop worrying you are causing yourself alot of aniexty. Even if the antibotics made you feel 100%
you probably wouldn't even know because your symptoms can be caused by aniexty and depression.
If I had a positive lymes test I would be doing the dance of joy-joy!

Clint,

I just read a very inspiring post that you wrote to someone else trying to relieve their fears.
Why can't you believe yourself what you wrote.
I will read link.

My hubby knew a guy at work who had lyme and it took him a year to get better. Same story, my sister's nieghbor disappeared for a year and when they fond out why~it was lyme. they had a long healing process but are fine today with no als.

focus on healing,

april

Cilnt
I have seen patients in my office that never felt completely well for years The longer you are untreated the longer it takes to get better.
Eat well take a good multivit. plenty of sleep and stay off the ALS forum.

Pat 1

I just read that link.

So let me get this straight: A physician has a half-ass theory . . . WITH ABSOLUTELY NO DATA TO BACK IT UP . . . that this bacteria could cause ALS . . . worries you?

Well guess what: I think the combination of vanilla milk shakes and tortilla chips causes ALS. I have absolutely no data that substantiates it, but apparently, that doesn't matter one bit.

Anyone can have a theory . . . but until it is backed by good science . . . it means nothing. The theories out there that are more than likely on the right track, are those that have been scrutinized in peer reviewed journals . . . and still . . . there is no concensus as to what causes ALS. There have been reports that certain viruses and bacteria can cause neuronal death but nothing definitive at all. No one knows what causes ALS.

Get off of the internet and accept the fact you have Lyme . . . and as odd as this sounds . . . be thankful about it. You will more than likely make a full recovery and will lead a perfectly normal, full life.

I'm sorry if this post seems a little harsh (and I promise you it's not personal), but I don't want hysteria to needlessly worry people on this forum . . . AND . . . I want you to calm yourself and be happy.

Wright....I have a question? Was lyme disease around, say 45 years ago, when my grandfather died of this disease? I don't think so. We live in New Jersey, and I think the first case was discovered in Connecticut. Is this correct?

thanks
lovelily

Dear Clint
You have to understand that the internet has alot of bad information. Reading this stuff is very misleading and can make you nuts.

If someone told me I had another Dx I would be dancing in the streets.
I find it very distrubing that you are insisting you have or will get ALS.:?:
Please get a grip!

CELEBRATE!
Pat 1

Lovelily

The first truly documented case of lyme disease in the U.S. was back some time in the early 1970's . . . in Lyme, Connecticut . . . BUT . . . documented cases were seen in Europe over a 100 years prior to that (it just wasn't called Lyme disease).

Something or someone from Europe brought it over here, which could have been at anytime when travel from Europe was prevalent (all of those big ships starting in the early 1900's and then of course, when air travel took off . . . no pun intended).

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that people in the U.S. were more than likely afflicted with it prior to the early 70's, but in a more sporadic manner. The reason the outbreak in Lyme, Connecticut got so much attention (and is considered the inception of the disease) was because it was a cluster of people that got it in a very short time span.

Could your grandfather have had it? Possibly, but it would be pure speculation as to whether he did or not.

Wow! My grandfather came over from Poland, when he was a young boy. This is very interesting. Thanks Wright!

take care
lovelily

ALS Lyme questions

I am interested in knowing more about the "possible" connection between Lyme disease and ALS smptoms. My brother was diagnosed with probable ALS ( currently has official diagnosed of PMA) early this year .......and a few family members including myself have/had Lyme disease.

My brothers Lyme test was negative but I understand that there are a lot of problems with getting accurate test results once the neurological symptoms appear. I read somewhere that ALS patients should be given antibiotics to treat Lyme disease at least for awhile to see if they improve.....but I don't know where I read this and my brothers doctor has refused to give him a trial of antibiotics. I am thinking that this maybe an important thing to check into further and would appreciate any information that any of you might be able to share.

Thanks so much to all the kind folk who post here. Your help and encouragement are truly appreciated.

Write

So you are saying I can still eat and drink Vanilla milkshakes and tortilla chips, because they are my favorites. Just kidding. Needed a laugh and you were good for it. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back