View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 10:36 AM #4 (permalink)

Default Lyme and ALS

My specialty field of knowledge is Lyme rather than ALS, but there are too many people with both for me to consider this purely coincidence. Britannica Encylopedia states that there is a gene for ALS but that this does not account for all cases of ALS, the other form is called "sporadic ALS". This is the form which I personally feel may be due to chronic neurologic Lyme. The Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation has posts from several cases like this. It does seem that ALS from the non-genetic form does respond to antibiotics that are used for Lyme. These antibiotics will not make ALS worse if it has a genetic component. However the word antibiotic means "against life". While it kills the bacteria, it also kills cells within the human body. Therefore anyone on longterm antibiotic therapy needs serious nutritional support. And... long term.... I mean over one year... is needed for chronic Lyme. Neurologic Lyme requires an initial treatment of 3-4 weeks of IV antibiotics in most cases, followed by one year of oral. Most doctors knowledgeable in Lyme will switch antibiotic type about every 3-4 months. There are several good doctors very knowledgeable in Lyme and also will keep the ALS in mind while treating. My role is as a nutritional consultant and being sure the patient knows what questions to ask the doctor.