View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM #13 (permalink)

helen13352 is on a distinguished road
City: Southborough
State: MA
helen13352 is on a distinguished road
Default re: Could this by Lyme or slowly progressing ALS?

The Western Blot test is the ONLY somewhat reliable test for lyme, and it also depends on the lab that you use. Make sure you find a "Lyme Literate" doctor and have this test run. I also thought that this was what was wrong with me, and after numerous blood tests (don't even bother letting them send you for the ELISA test, it's a waste of blood and money), a spinal, and FINALLY got them to give me the Western Blot, which still came back negative, I accepted the fact that it's "probably" not lyme.

I read in this book about Lyme that the best way to get prepared for the Western Blot test is to go on antibiotics for a month and get tested. And, if your symptoms actually get worse in that month, (herx) its probably a good indicator that the anitbiotic is killing the boreoullis (sp?) and the WB test will pick it up. I can't remember the name of the book, but if you PM me, I'll go upstairs (always a treat to walk/pull myself up those 16 steps) and will post it. It is well documented, and well written. A LL doctor will know what to do, that's why it's important to go to them, and not your PC doc or a neuro.

Good luck.

Oh, Chase, Lyme is very treatable when caught early... if it's not, it can take literally years of being on antibiotics to get well.