View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 11:52 PM #7 (permalink)

desiree20039 is on a distinguished road
City: Santa Cruz
State: CA
desiree20039 is on a distinguished road
Default re: Curious about Lyme and symptoms

Thank you for the responses !
Grateful -- I had tried to do a follow-up post, but it went to moderation -- I haven't said anything to my Doctor about ALS yet, I stumbled across the ALS symptoms while looking for easy to swallow/soft foods , and then I saw the similarities ( and the differences ) to what I am experiencing. I will have a Dr. Appointment to get my test results shortly - and was wondering if people had any feedback on antibiotic use, Lyme diagnosis etc... as I saw that many people seem to be diagnosed with both ? And I am concerned about this particular lab, but if the antibiotics can't hurt, and the test comes back positive - it seems worth a try. I know no one can force me to take them, I'm just looking for some experiences to weigh when deciding options.

I am definitely hoping for something treatable - and hopefully something that I at least know what degree of disability might remain, how long to treat, etc.. it has been very difficult to know what to do regarding my job, finances etc...I can do very minimal work online from home right now, but even that is becoming very challenging, and not really something I can do long term.

Helen- My hands, particularly my left hand, are very weak and stiff ..and I guess uncoordinated is the best term..it is very hard to type correctly, and that is what I have to do for work. They also tend to kind of cramp and spasm ( sorry, not sure if those are the right terms ) and sometime tremble. This has been going on for awhile - maybe a year or so.

I have had two negative Elisa tests ( I live in a very Lyme endemic area ) so my Doctor is sending to Igenex Lab that specializes in Lyme for I think the Western Blot... which is something i have mixed feelings about - if the lab does a great job detecting Lyme when others dont'= great ! But if they have too many false positives and suggest long term antibiotics that aren't needed - one I can't afford it, and two I'm worried about wasting time /energy / having side effects if it's something else.

Thanks for the feedback ! I really appreciate it !