View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 01:21 AM #12 (permalink)

Christina,
I felt the same way when my dad got his diagnosis. I did not know what to say or do when he told us about the ALS. My whole family was thrown for a loop. We just thought the doctors would tell him that he was to stressed out and needed to take some time off work. Instead we were told that he has a life threatening disease. What a blow! The first few days were tough because my dad could barely talk to us. He would get emotional and have to leave the room. What I told my dad during this phase is how much I love him and how we were going to fight this as a family. I told him that he is not alone in this, and we are all ready to take this on. I shared this with my mom too, because I know how much she was scared. I asked him questions about what the doctor said, I tried to give him positive feedback, and I told him to bust out his Bible and start reading. My family found some sort of peace through reading the Bible and just giving this to God. For the first initial couple of weeks, we spent a lot of time with family, and just tried to act normal. I emphasized that his life was not taken away yet, so he needs to continue to do things that he likes. I brought my son over a lot, because this always seems to brighten anybodies day. (Watching a toddler can make anyone smile at least a couple of times) My dad started golfing again which is something he loves. Gradually, everyone kind of just picked up and continued to live their lives. It seems like it has gotten easier, but there are still some really tough days. There are days where my dad is sad, or my mom is frustrated, or I am scared, but we all seem to get through it together. Lean on your family and talk with them about how you are feeling. When you have tough days, have a good cry (if there is such a thing) and you somehow will feel better. It is also nice to have someone other than family to talk to. This forum might do the trick for you. The one thing I have learned so far is that I constantly tell the people I care about that I love them. I did not do this enough before my dad got sick, and it really has been a wake up call. You really do learn how short life is, and that you count your blessings daily for the people in your life. I hope this helps.
Dana