View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 12:26 AM #8 (permalink)

Hi Christina,
My dad is currently receiving antibiotics for Lymes disease. The Mayo Clinic did not think he had Lymes, but he tested positive twice at another clinic, so we decided to treat the Lymes anyways. He was given the "early symptoms" ALS diagnosis too. We have seen little improvements with my dad, but I don't know if the antibiotics will cure his symptoms, or just prolong everything. Only time will tell. I do feel like the doctors and God have given us a second chance at this, and our whole perspective has somehow changed for the better. My family is really trying to look at the "bright side," if there is one, and just keep my dad happy doing the things that he likes. He's been golfing every night, and that seems to pull his head up. All of his muscles are doing great, so he is fortunate to be able to golf still. This disease makes you appreciate the little things, and realize that petty things should not interfere with your life. In the short amount of time we have been dealing with this, we have all learned a lot. The hardest part is seeing my dad sad. He tries to act like he is not bummed out, but we can tell. That has been the hardest thing for me. But, I just try to joke around with him and cheer him up. I hope you are able to do the same with your father. This is a tough time, but there will be some good days ahead of you too.
Dana