View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM #34 (permalink)

diane12035 is on a distinguished road
City: Orlando
State: FL
diane12035 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Connection Between ALS and Lyme disease?

Marc, I know it's been a while since your post, but I just registered today and saw it for the first time. My entire family is being treated for Lyme and we've been at it for one year. The only definitive, reliable test for Lyme and Co-infections is done through the Igenex Labs in Calif. Well worth the effort and expense (generally not covered by insurance). ALS symptoms can indeed actually be Lyme disease manifesting itself in this particular group of symptoms called ALS...in other words, Lyme disease may truly be the root cause. No longer are tick bites the only way Lyme can be contracted, but through mosquito, biting flies, or any biting, sucking insects. Lyme is very immunosuppressive, so the usual tests that most MDs prescribe are very unreliable (Elisa). Also, all co-infections must be tested: Ehrliccia, Babesia, and Bartonella, as the same insects that carry Lyme (actually called the Borrellia Spirochete Bacteria; commonly called Lyme because first case was diagnosed in Lyme, Connecticut.) Unless the co-infections are properly identified and treated, Lyme becomes more difficult to treat. The good news is, if Lyme is identified, it is very treatable through the help of the appropriately knowledgable doctors. Our wonderful Lyme-literate doctor is available in Orlando, FL but also available through phone consults and Skype.